What is Selenium ?
As per the definition from http://www.seleniumhq.org/
Selenium automates browsers. That's it! What you do with that power is entirely up to you. Primarily, it is for automating web applications for testing purposes, but is certainly not limited to just that. Boring web-based administration tasks can (and should!) also be automated as well.
Selenium has the support of some of the largest browser vendors who have taken (or are taking) steps to make Selenium a native part of their browser. It is also the core technology in countless other browser automation tools, APIs and frameworks.
Advantages of Selenium
- Best available open source tool for web
- Simple and powerful document object model (DOM) level testing, can
be used for continuous integration with agile projects.
- Selenium has great extensible and flexibility, along with its tight
integration with the browser unmatched by available proprietary tools.
- Supports multiple browsers such as Internet Explorer, Fire fox,
Safari or Opera on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Supports Object Oriented Programming languages like JAVA, .NET, Ruby, Perl, PHP, etc.